Monday, June 23, 2014

The Dice by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal




I throw the dice.
It rolls.
I halt
and it halts.
It stops rolling
and I start doubting
keeping my thoughts
to myself. The dice
shine like stars,
the dimmer ones,
the vacant ones.
My number is up.
I am not lucky
and I curse
the constellation
from my knees.
I try to be strong.
I walk toward
the light of day.
Nothing is certain
in this life.
It rolls.
I throw the dice
with all my might.
I throw it far.
Perhaps
I dream too high,
except
my dream dissolves.
Waves
of all shapes and sizes
take me in
to perdition.
I have no luck.
Drawn by falsehood,
I abruptly drown.
Under water
the floating dice
comes out dry.
I have no luck.
I feel human.
I roll the dice
with all my might.
The dice rolls and rolls.
Nothing is certain.
 



Luis works in mental health field. His latest poems have been published or will appear in Camel Saloon, Clockwise Cat, Dead Snakes, Kendra Steiner Editions, Mad Swirl, Yellow Mama, and Zygote In My Coffee.


This Zine Will Change Your Life previously published THE BOOK OF LIFE by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal. Check it out.

Street artist unknown.
Photo by Adam Lawrence

"No Luck" is the title track of the debut EP from Chicago's J Fernandez. He will be releasing his second EP via Atelier Ciseaux later this year. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment