Thursday, January 17, 2013

Yesterday, 1995 by Holly Day


P1240980

After he was born, I threw out
all the photos taken of my life, the
days before his birth, determined to become
someone else, wanted to be
new, like him, my baby.
 

sold all my records to pay for
rent and groceries, tossed all my clothes that didn’t fit
all I owned crammed in a backpack
jewelry I could sell for
cash, enough to take me and my son
 

somewhere safe



Holly Day is a housewife and mother of two living in Minneapolis , Minnesota who teaches needlepoint classes in the Minneapolis school district. Her poetry has recently appeared in The Worcester Review, Broken Pencil, and Slipstream, and she is the recipient of the 2011 Sam Ragan Poetry Prize from Barton College . Her most recent published book is “Notenlesen für Dummies Das Pocketbuch,” while her novel, “The Trouble With Clare,” is due out from Hydra Publications in 2013.

This Zine Will Change Your Life previously published Hot Sunshine Song by Holly Day. Check it out.

Street art by Lady.
Photo by Adam Lawrence.

This is the first single from 'Wondrous Bughouse' the new album from Youth Lagoon which is due March 5th from Fat Possum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment